A general view of the railway station at Ravenglass.
Ravenglass is located just off the A595 road, approx. 38 miles north of Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria. The railway was opened in 1875 to transport iron ore from the mines up in the hills, down to Ravenglass on the coast. Passengers were first carried in 1876.The local people gave the Ravenglass and Eskdale Railway the nickname of La’al Ratty and the name has stuck. There is a hotel/pub near the railway station called The Ratty Arms. The railway is approx. 7 miles long and the journey takes 40 minutes.Starting from Ravenglass, the train stops at Muncaster Mill, Irton Road, The Green, Fisherground, Beckfoot and terminates at Dalegarth (Eskdale)
Northern Rock about to move onto the turn table
and “breathing” real steam
The driver is pushing the train round, could this be the stoker ?
Hey, who’s in charge here?
|River Mite, shining in the afternoon sun…||as were the gauges and pipework.|
|Shelagh of Eskdale is the only diesel
train at Ravenglass
|This one is obviously a steamer,
centrally located boiler
River Irt being inspected by the driver and a keen
|The station platforms are very pleasant, with||flowers on the ground and hanging in baskets.|
|Platforms 2 and 3…||Platform 1 and tea room. All
“home made” produce here.
The main signal box at Ravenglass.