Saltburn

Huntcliffe with Warset hill on the top.

Saltburn-by-the-sea is located on the Yorkshire coast approx. 20 miles north of Whitby.
 The original fishing village of Saltburn was mentioned in the Dooms  Day Book and has
a history of smuggling. During the summer months, the  miniature railway runs a service from the station near the car park up the Forest Halt near to the Valley Gardens.

For information regarding surfing conditions and tide tables click here

To see other Saltburn related pages, click on the links below

Henry Pease Half penny bridge Saltburn in bloom Miniature railway Mosaics
Pier history Pier lights Yarn bombing Smugglers history Surfing

 

Known locally as “Old Saltburn”, this is all that
remains of the original fishing village of Saltburn.
The Ship Inn is famous in local history for
it’s links to the smuggling trade.

Huntcliffe with Warsett Hill on the top.
“Old Saltburn” can be seen tucked under the cliff.

This massive building stands at the top of the “S” bank.Once the Zetland Hotel, now it contains luxury apartments The “S” Bank. The 25% grade on the tightest bend catches out many a “none local” motorist. 
The railway station in “Station Square” now
houses 
a variety of shops but some
of the old platforms are still in use
The clock and roundabout just outside
the railway station. There are 4 clock faces
and they all gave the same time (on this day)
This tribute to Henry Pease is made
out of steel and can be seen in the
Rose Garden at the top of Hazel Grove.
Henry Pease was directly connected to the
building of the pier, the Ha’penny bridge
and the Stockton to Saltburn railway. 

The pier was originally 1,400 feet long with shelters and a band stand on the raised end section.
The pier and the vertical lift were built about the same time, 1869.

The incline tramway is water operated, the system used is known as the “Water Balance Method”.
Water is pumped from the lower storage tank which holds 30,000 gallons to the upper storage tank which holds 18,500 gallons and from there, is poured into a container under the tram,
when the weight of the top tram is heavier than the lower tram, the brake is then slowly released.
As the tram descends, it pulls the other tram up to the top by a system of pulleys and wires.
The lower tram is then emptied  and the procedure is repeated.

The inclined tramway was opened June 28th 1884, has a lift of 120 feet at a gradient of 71%. The track length is 207 feet with a gauge of 4 feet 2 1/2inches. The water tank on each tram holds
350 gallons. The electric pump used for pumping the water up was installed in 1924 and delivers 180 gallons per minute. Prior to that, a gas engine powered by the towns mains gas was used.
The journey time from top to bottom is approx. 55 seconds.

To see a short video clip of the lift in operation, click on the link: Cliff lift

In 2013 between Good Friday, the end of September the number of passengers
using the cliff lift was 167,781. An increase of 27,000 over 2012.
During the  winter of 2010-2011, both of the tram cars were refurbished with
new safety and communications systems added. The trams are now running every day
during the summer months. The cliff lift usually opens Easter weekend.

One of the tram cars being filled.
Note the coloured glass of the windows.
The tram cars are centralized and locked
in position when closed to the public. The
tramway operates during the summer months only.

This valley was once spanned by a bridge known as Ha’penny Bridge. (Half Penny Bridge)
Built about the same time as the pier, 1869, it was demolished in 1974 because it
was considered unsafe. The bridge was a toll bridge, hence the name.
It was for horse-drawn carriages and pedestrians only.

The Tea Room in the Valley Gardens is open all year round,
except when the weather is really bad.

These 3 figures are the latest additions(March 2014)to the
garden area near the bandstand. Beautifully made of twisted
wire and silver coloured. Fantastic!

 The “Top” and “Bottom” promenades.
Note the new Beach Patrol centre to the right of the pier.
 There are about 5 miles of golden
sands between Saltburn and Redcar.

There is about 400 metres between high
tide and low tide, so there is plenty of sand for everyone.

 On the golden sands, between Saltburn and Marske, back in 1911, the sound of a Fiat S76 firing up must have been quite a sight and sound but that’s when Pietro Bordino broke the Flying mile world record in the car. He recorded a speed of 116.9 miles per hour.
The car was nick named “The beast of Turin”
Speed trials were organized by Middlesbrough Motor Club and Leeds Motor Club around the 1905 to 1937 years on the same stretch of beach. Sir Malcolm Campbell recorded a speed of 138.08 MPH in June 1922 in Sunbeam Bluebird and 144.32 MPH in 1924.
A guy called Ron Storey, on a Brough Superior SS100 motor bike, recorded a speed of
122.91MPH in 1928 on the same golden sands.

Below are pictures of the five mosaics hanging on the wall near the railway station platform
To view a larger picture of each mosaic, click on the Saltburn Mosaics button.

To see other Saltburn related pages, click on the links below:

Henry Pease Half penny bridge Saltburn in bloom Miniature railway Mosaics
Pier history Pier lights Yarn bombing Smugglers history Surfing

To top of the page