Henry Pease, born May 4th 1807 – died 1881. Henry Pease was born into a quaker family at Darlington, County Durham. Edward Pease, Henry’s father was a coal mine owner and was one of the instigators of the Stockton to Darlington railway which opened in 1825. Henry served an apprenticeship at a tannery in Darlington but his real interests were in railways. He was one of the main people who got the railway line extended to Saltburn and the building of the Zetland Hotel at the top of the “S” bank. This was the making of Saltburn-by-the-sea. The railway line was extended from the station at Saltburn to the front of the Zetland Hotel (which most people thought was the back of the hotel) this section was covered over with hundreds of glass panels to allow people to walk from the station to the hotel without getting wet if it was raining. At the end of the track was a turn-table to allow the engine to be turned, proceed to the front of the carriages and be re-coupled ready to depart the station pointing in the right direction. He was elected to Parliament in 1857 and retired from parliament in 1865. He became the Mayor of Darlington in 1867 and served as Mayor for one year. He was noted for promoting education and looking after the welfare of the working people. Henry Pease was involved with the development of the Italian Gardens, now known as the Valley gardens, the incline tramway and the pier. The metal statue of Henry Pease was erected in 2002 in the Rose Garden just over the road from the Convalescent Home ( now called Saltburn House) which was built by his brother Joseph Pease. Without Henry Pease and his brothers, Joseph and John, Saltburn-by-the-sea may not have happened.