Arromanches

The D-Day Landings Museum at Arromanches..

Inside are models, uniforms, photographs, instruments and many items that were actually used by the allies during the landings and even long after that.
The phone number for the museum is 02 31 22 34 31 (International code for France is 0033)  The museum is what most people come to Arromanches to see, this and the remains of “Mulberry Harbour”.  Later to be called Port Winston. It was decided by the British Government, that an artificial harbour  would be built in sections and floated across the Channel to Arromanches. Once there, the sections would be sunk, built up connected and could then be used as a harbour, causeway and roadway to facilitate unloading the allied ships of guns, tanks and various other mobile units. “Port Mulberry” was the code name for the mission, hence the name Mulberry Harbour. It started with 17 old ships that had seen many years of service and were ready for decommissioning. These 17 ships were sailed, under their own steam and were brought into the required position, then sunk, bow to stern on the Calvados Rocks approx. 1-1/4 miles off shore. After that, 115 concrete pontoons, known as Pheonix, were towed across the Channel at the rate of 15 per day and were sunk on the Calvados Rocks in the required positions near the 17 sunken ships. Floating platforms were placed in position then more concrete blocks were sunk and then the blocks were linked by more floating metal bridges. Four floating roads were made up of this construction. One for light vehicles such as ambulances, cars, and jeeps. One for heavy vehicles such as tanks,  bulldozers and cranes and two for unloading various stores, equipment and provisions. This “harbour” managed by June 12th 1944, to facilitate the landing of 326,000 men, 54,000 vehicles of various shapes and sizes and 110,000 tons of various other goods.  The harbour   was closed down on 19th November 1944 and then dismantled. The platforms and most of the floating roads were broken up and reused for the war effort. Most of the Phoenixes and all the  concrete ships, after the war, were used in the reconstruction of Normandy.
For more information on Port Mulberry and the Pegasus Bridge,

see the web site at; www.normandy1944.com

These three plaques can be seen on the wall outside the museum.


At low water, the few remaining concrete blocks of “Port Mulberry” can be seen. 

Two guns “guard” the museum and they must be polished ever hour because there wasn’t a speck of dust or sand on them at any time while I was there.

 Standing on the concrete block outside the museum, looking west, you see the view in the left photo, if you look east, you see the view in the right photo.

Arromanches is a very nice, quiet seaside town but no doubt it gets very busy
in the summer holiday season. The place certainly has an air of history and the
flags of all the allied nations fly there all the time.

Approx. one mile outside of Arromanches, is the 360degree cinema.
This statue stands on the cliff top near the cinema looking out to sea .
The “screen”  is made up of a number of curved screens and the film is made up of a series of film clips taken during the actual conflict and also some taken around the area in peace time. Some of the sights and sounds really do convey what it must of been like in the war.

To top of page