The Laxey Wheel.
Designed by Robert Casement. The axle was forged in Liverpool,
the rims were made in Douglas, the timbers were made by Manx men
and whole lot was assembled on the island. The wheel is 72 feet diameter
and 6 feet wide.It was capable of pumping 250 gallons of water per minute
from a depth of 1,500 feet. The wheel was officially opened in September 1854
by the Honourable Charles Hope and the wheel was named Lady Isabella in
honour of his wife.
A tribute to the Laxey mine workers.
The War Memorial to the people from Laxey
who lost their lives in the first and second world wars.
Snaefell Mountain Railway runs from Laxey to Snaefell summit
at a height of 2,034 feet above sea level on a 3ft 6ins gauge track.
for more details go to www.visitisleofman.com/things-to-do/snaefell-mountain-railway-p1292361
The Manx Electric Railway runs from Douglas to Laxey and on to Ramsey. (17 miles)
The railway was built between 1893 and 1899. For more details go to